Woo hoo!! TODAY is the last day of school and I couldn’t be happier!! Us teachers just have to come back Friday and Monday, and that’s it for the 2011-2012 school year. It’s hard to believe it’s all over, but I am so READY and HAPPY for the school year to be done. Now I just have to get through today- and am really looking forward to celebrating with my friend Brie at one of my favorite restaurants (Great Sage) tonight!
Today I want to focus a little bit on short + long-term goals. This was part of our “homework” for fitmixer bootcamp, and something that I’ve been thinking about for a few days. I used to post monthly goals at the start of each new month, but I think I was getting a little ahead of myself there (always listing around 10 goals- which is kind of a lot for one month). For now, I want to focus on things that will be attainable in the short-term and others that I can work up to in the near and distant future.
I could probably write out a list of 100 goals, easily- but for now I’m going to keep it short and sweet. I also plan to write out a summer bucket list (like Janetha just posted) in the next day or two!
Short term goals (by the end of June):
1. Start foam-rolling regularly. Allie wrote a great post about this, and it really made me think about how important it is for anyone that exercises regularly. I need to establish a routine that I am committed to and stick with- and make it a habit!
2. Lose 5 lbs. (total since the start of bootcamp). I’ve lost 2 since I started. Losing 3 more by the end of the month shouldn’t be too unrealistic.
3. Take time to meditate. Ideally, I’d love to set aside a chunk of time in the morning for this- now that I’ll have time. It’s so important for reducing stress!
4. Get back into yoga- even if it’s only for 10 minutes a day! Katie talked about committing to yoga on her blog the other day, and said it doesn’t matter how long, it just has to happen. That really struck a chord with me. There was a period of time in the fall where I practiced yoga at least 3x a week, and I loved it! With my schedule now, I just haven’t been able to fit it in. And really, that’s because I have an “all or nothing” mentality about it. For some reason I think that I need a good 60-90 minute session to make it be worth it and that’s just dumb. Ten minutes would be better than nothing- and I can certainly find an extra 10 minutes in my day.
5.Enjoy my birthday trip to Chicago and not get off track with bootcamp. My birthday was months ago, but my gift from Greg is a long weekend in Chicago, which is coming up on the 16th! I’m so excited, as I’ve never been to that city and always wanted to go. I plan to keep up with the bootcamp workouts (which will be super easy, since I can do them right in the hotel room) and indulge within reason when it comes to food + drink.
Long term goals (after June and beyond):
1. Go back to Skyline Drive and hike- or hike Old Rag. It’s so amazingly beautiful there, and when Greg and I drove home from Charlottesville last fall, we didn’t really have the time to hike. I’d like to take a day trip down there this summer and really plan it out!
2. Get my PT certification. This is super important to me right now and will be my #1 priority after the month of June (I’m giving myself a mental break for a few weeks). I’d really love to have it by early fall.
3. Organize my home office, which is a mess right now, and make it functional and zen-like.
4. Shift the focus of my blog a bit. I still want to keep “my voice” but would love to start creating a few more posts about fitness and specific workouts.
5. Continue to work on learning to love my body. Believe it or not, I’m getting a lot better with this. I try to look in the mirror each morning and focus on things that I am happy with, rather than focusing on the negative. For example, I noticed a little tricep action going on while I dried my hair this morning and thought “that looks pretty darn good!” I know that this is such an important part of weight-loss and finally feeling comfortable in my skin. I’ll get there!
Have a wonderful Thursday!!
What is one of your short-term goals? How about long-term?